Total Pageviews

Sunday, October 27, 2013

My 75 gallon fresh water

In this picture you can see my 75 gallon fresh water tank. Since this is the first time I have posted anything about this tank I will give you a profile of the fish I keep in here. I have bala sharks, giant dianos, tiger barbs, a 12 inch common pleco, algae eaters and a blue crayfish. The common pleco is a waste machine creating so much waste it is starting to cloud the tank and no matter how much water changes I do I can never clean it completely up. I have been looking into other ways of clearing up the water but so far all I have hit are dead ends. The problem I am having is anything strong enough to vacuum up the pleco waste also gets the sand and in some cases the sand is lighter than the waste and I only get sand. Another problem I was having with this tank is the plants are all plastic but the light was starting to grow algae on the plastic leaves. To counter act this problem I purchased 7 algae eaters from petco because they were on sale hoping they would deal with the brown algae on the leaves. It has been less than 24 hours and I can already see a huge difference in the amount of algae on the leaves. The next thing I am going to do for this tank is to try and find a new home for the pleco to help reduce the amount of waste in the tank. After I rehome the pleco I am going to start to convert this tank over to a live planted tank. I am going to start small with just a few swords to help clear up the water quality and then slowly convert it into a heavily planted high tech tank.



Creative Commons License
This work by Austin Webb is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License.

No comments:

Post a Comment